MPR News Update for Aug. 31, 2015
Monday, August 31, 2015
Welcome to the last Monday in August -- and a day of weather to match. Expect partial clouds throughout the day with a high in the low 80s. | Your forecast
- 'Empty lake': Struggling Mille Lacs resorts hope for winter walleye
Summer ended early for many Lake Mille Lacs business owners after the state abruptly close the walleye fishing season. Owners want a walleye ice fishing season. DNR officials aren't upbeat.
- EU ministers call emergency meeting to discuss migrant crisis
Europe has seen an unprecedented number of migrants and asylum seekers reach its borders. EU ministers called the meeting, in part, to try to decide which migrants are treated as refugees.
- ICYMI: How to become a food vendor at the Minnesota State Fair
There are 247 licensed food vendors at the Minnesota State Fair selling more than 500 food items. And the thought has occurred to many fairgoers with an idea for a bite to sell: How do I get one of those coveted spots? | State Fair
- Minnesota officials urge flu shots knowing there'll be skeptics
Authorities say the vaccine this flu season should be more effective than last year but they concede that getting the message out to the public could be a problem.
- Photos: Protesters peacefully march on the fair
About 325 marchers staged a a peaceful protest at the fairgrounds, escorted by St. Paul Police on bikes and horses. | State Fair | Black Lives Matter protest marches to fair
- North Minneapolis losing its lone bookstore
The owners of Ancestry Books hope to hold readings and other events elsewhere.
- Fountain City man creates replica 'Ghostbusters' car
If there's something strange in your Fountain City, Wis., neighborhood — who ya gonna call? Randy Gotz.
- Oliver Sacks, renowned neurologist and author, dies at 82
The author of books such as ''The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat,'' died of cancer today in New York City at the age of 82, a long-time friend and colleague has confirmed.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.