MPR News Update for July 31, 2015
Friday, July 31, 2015
Thought the last few weekends of road construction in the Twin Cities were bad? Here are the main closures starting tonight on I-94 and other roads.
- Tribal chair: No walleye netting next year on Lake Mille Lacs
"It's a huge sacrifice" said Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe Chair Melanie Benjamin, adding, "We want to be part of the solution in the best possible way." | A crisis with few easy answers
- Zimbabwe seeks to extradite Twin Cities dentist who killed Cecil the lion
The country's environment, climate and water minister called dentist Walter Palmer a "foreign poacher" and said Zimbabwe is appealing to the U.S. to extradite him. | Who is Cecil?
- New law calls on Minnesota cops to account for untested rape kits
Law enforcement agencies across the state are getting ready to report exactly how many untested sexual assault kits they have sitting on their shelves and explain why they remain in evidence.
- Study finds bug diversity cuts down on crop pests
Researchers found that corn pests are less of a problem when there's a diverse population of bugs.
- Alan Cheuse, novelist and longtime NPR contributor, dies at 75
The author and critic died Friday of injuries sustained in a car accident. For years, he was the voice of NPR's literature commentary — and, for many, the 'guide to a very exciting world.'
- Minnesota medical marijuana producer expanding to New York
Minnesota Medical Solutions was one of five successful bidders to provide similar products in the Empire State. | Why medical marijuana is off to a slow start in MN
- Runners cover 200 miles on Anishinabe Spirit Run
The 19th annual run is aimed at encouraging sobriety and health.
- Long-lost F. Scott Fitzgerald story finally published
F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote the short story, "Temperature," shortly before his death. It was presumed lost, but was recently uncovered in the archives at Princeton University. | More books coverage
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.