MPR News Update for May 5, 2015
Tuesday, May 5, 2015
What royal baby? The Minnesota Zoo recently welcomed three — count 'em, three — baby snow monkeys. Congratulations to moms Yuki, Shumei and Yumoto.
- Iron mining woes force Magnetation bankruptcy
Company officials say the Chapter 11 filing won't affect employee payroll or benefits. One state lawmaker, though, says legislators should look at helping Minnesota's iron ore industry. | Iron Rangers prepare for hard times
- 'Eco-village' to replace symbol of neglect on Lake Street, Hiawatha
The former Brown College building in Minneapolis and its sea of parking spaces had become a magnet for crime.
- Jennie-O idles 233 in Faribault; first mass Minn. layoff tied to bird flu
The Hormel division says the flu that's ravaged Minnesota turkey flocks leaves fewer birds to process. Layoffs start May 26. | Lawmakers support turkey industry with cookout
- The UND Frost Giants? School releases list of proposed nicknames
The University of North Dakota has published a list of nickname suggestions to replace the now-retired Fighting Sioux. Some are serious (North Force), some are clearly in jest (Flying Monkeys).
- U of M student reports rape by 2 strangers in her dorm room
The assault occurred in a residence hall on the East Bank of campus between 12:45 and 1:30 a.m. Sunday, according to an alert released by police.
- Hallberg's Picture of Health: Good riddance to Rubella
According to global health authorities, Rubella, also known as German Measles, has been eliminated from the Americas. | Health
- 'Bourbon Empire' reveals the smoke and mirrors of American whiskey
A new book looks at the "carefully cultivated myths" created by the bourbon industry. | Books
- As emojis spread beyond texts, many remain [confounded face] [interrobang]
Without a unified translation as to what the pictures all stand for, widespread use in absence of text can further complicate communication — and lead to consequences.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.