MPR News Update for Sept. 16, 2014
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
You're getting warmer... No more pinching and zooming: The MPR News home page now looks great on your mobile devices — and on your desktop too. Visit the site and share your feedback... On NewsCut, Bob Collins tells us a little piece of Woodbury history is dying
- After Peterson revelations, Radisson suspends Vikings sponsorship
The Minnetonka-based company said it "takes this matter very seriously particularly in light of our long-standing commitment to the protection of children."
- How not to teach climate change
New research suggests that emphasizing scientific progress won't promote environmental action. In fact, it may do the reverse.
- Obama plans large ramp up in Ebola fight
The epidemic in West Africa is already the deadliest on record, having killed more than 2,400 people.
- US oil supply, calls to end export ban rise together
The U.S. banned oil exports decades ago as part of a plan to insulate the country against supply and price shocks.
- Will Scotland vote to cut the cord?
The campaign to keep the U.K. together has been built on dire warnings about economic calamities that would befall an independent Scotland.
- Too few university jobs for young US scientists
More than 40,000 postdoctoral research fellows are doing science at a bargain price, and most are being trained for jobs that don't actually exist.
- GM ignition-switch defect now linked to 19 deaths
A special compensation fund for victims of GM's faulty ignition switch has issued its first report.
- Clergy scandal needs more healing, less legalese, St. Thomas theologians tell Nienstedt
The letter, signed by 12 of the private Catholic university's 21 tenured theology professors, asks Archbishop John Nienstedt to change his approach to the clergy sexual abuse crisis.
- Kelly Barnhill's 'The Witch's Boy' blends adventure with intense themes
Twin Cities author Kelly Barnhill has written a new novel for young adults that explores grief, loss and survivor's guilt in a rollicking story. Barnhill reads from "The Witch's Boy," Tuesday in St. Paul.
Subscribe to MPR News Update: RSS
You can also copy and paste this URL into your podcast software:
About MPR News Update
Simply, it is Minnesota news on your schedule. The MPR News Update brings you up to speed with the state's top news, the best of our blogs and smart talk radio in the format that fits you best.