In a publicly released statement, Jennifer Haselberger asked Archbishop John Nienstedt to allow an independent review of clergy files and "make public the list of clergy who have been determined to have engaged in acts of sexual misconduct, as well as those whom could reasonably be assumed to pose a threat to children and young people."
Leaders in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis confiscated pornography -- some of which might have portrayed children -- from the Rev. Jonathan Shelley's old laptop. But they didn't report it for nearly a decade, until a church official found it and, frustrated with her superiors' lack of response, went to police herself.
"I am hopeful my decision to step aside at this time, along with the formation of a new task force can help repair the trust of many, especially the victims of abuse," the Rev. Peter Laird said in a prepared statement. He will continue to serve in a variety of roles within the archdiocese.
A former top accountant for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis claimed Monday that the church has made payments to nine priests despite their sexual misconduct.
Ramsey County Attorney John Choi says he's looking into findings from a Monday MPR News investigation that shows Catholic Church leaders did not tell parishioners of the Rev. Curtis Wehmeyer's sexual addiction and past misconduct.
Ramsey County's top prosecutor says he's deeply concerned about the way the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis handled the case of a priest who was known to be a sex addict -- and who was later convicted of child sexual abuse.
Curtis Wehmeyer's eight years as a St. Paul priest are dotted with episodes of risky, sex-fueled behavior -- and the leaders of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis knew all about it. Last year, the parish of Blessed Sacrament faced a horror: Wehmeyer was convicted for his sexual abuse of two teenage boys.
Clinicians at the Minnesota Security Hospital allowed a violent sex offender to leave last week because they did not fill out mandatory paperwork.
Former Shattuck-St. Mary's teacher Lynn Seibel has pleaded guilty to seven counts for the sexual abuse of six male students.
A legislative auditor's report finds the Minnesota Department of Human Services failed to create the right procedures to oversee its massive Medical Assistance program.
The priest, now 92 and living in a nursing home in St. Paul, uses a walker and spends his time reading the Bible and watching old movies. He still remembers a boy named David.
A Hennepin County judge is allowing part of a lawsuit filed by the family of a victim of the shooting at Accent Signage Systems to go forward.
The president of Totino-Grace High School has resigned saying he is in a committed same-sex relationship.
Investigators decided not to cite the Minnesota Security Hospital for maltreatment for allowing a delusional patient who stabbed two people in the face with pencils to keep the weapons in his room.
The lawsuit filed by a former Shattuck-St. Mary's student Monday that accuses the school of negligence comes after the state enacted a new law allowing child sexual abuse victims more time to bring claims as adults.